Has it really been almost two weeks since I last posted? I have no idea where time has gone.
Oh, wait. I do. I can’t reveal any secrets just yet, but I’ve been busy working on a fun section for the September issue. Can’t wait to share it with you all on Aug. 23 when the issue hits the newsstands.
Since I’ve been gone for a while, you’re getting double the posts today. First, I’ll post some news, and soon after, I have some fun stuff from a local food nonprofit.
• Smith & Wollensky has a summer grill menu going on through Sept. 16. Items include a shrimp cobb salad ($17), open-faced sliced filet ($20), jumbo diver scallops ($24) and surf and turf ($59). There also are moderately priced wines to accompany the summer menu. You can see the whole menu here.
• James Housteau, owner of the Short Story Brasserie and Junto Club, both in Granville, has started “Operation Do-Goode.” The club allows local nonprofits to register with either restaurant. Once signed up, a diner can choose to support their favorite nonprofit by giving the server their membership card; the restaurant will then donate 10 percent of the check to the chosen group. In a press release, Housteau says: “We think the idea will do very well. There is no limit to what we can give back to the community. They send us patrons and we send them donations. This allows us to divert money we would spend on traditional advertising to organizations that are really trying to make a difference right here in our community. And since we are local, many of their supporters are already our customers. It’s a win-win.” If you would like to learn about how your nonprofit can benefit from this program, you can reach Housteau at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• While I’m writing about news from Granville, here’s something from the folks at the Granville Inn. The Chef’s Table at the Inn is offering a monthly wine tasting series, held the first and third Wednesday of each month from 5 to 7 pm. Each night will showcase four featured wines, plus a little something from the kitchen prepared by executive chef Chad Lavely. Upcoming tastings include: Dog Days of Summer (Aug. 18), Steals and Deals (Sept. 2) and Born in the USA (Sept. 15). See the website for more info.
• “Food & UN-Wine” is coming to Barcelona Restaurant & Bar on Aug. 15 from noon to 4 pm. This event is part of the Columbus Food & Wine Affair; there will be sangria and food prepared by executive chef Paul Yow, including grilled Spanish specialties and a paella table. See the website for more info.
• I received a press release from BalletMet this week for what I think sounds like a fun event. The BalletMet Block Party is happening Aug. 26 from 5 to 9 pm at 322 Mount Vernon Ave. It’s 21 and up, and tickets are $35 at the door and $25 in advance. Some things you’ll find there: food carts with tacos, hot dogs and vegetarian options—plus sweet treats and a cash bar with wine, beer and margaritas. Mark Dantzer from Mix 107.9 is the event’s emcee, and there will be a special performance by the company’s dancers. See the website for more info.
That’s all for now. I’ll be back tomorrow with an update from Freshbox Catering.