Also thought it might be fun to look at some of the trends on this year's Dine Originals Columbus Week menus.
It's Dine Originals Week! The time to get out and patronize our locally owned, independently run restaurants. Oh, and to get great deals on special multi-course menus. So far, I've had two Dine Originals Week lunches--Crab Cake Benedict with jalapeno-potato hash at Tasi (pictured above) and a veggie melt with housemade beet chips at DeepWood.
Also thought it might be fun to look at some of the trends on this year's menus. It's November, so probably no surprise the most popular flavors to pop up are wintery vegetables and fruits like butternut squash, pumpkin and pear. There's also quite a lot of mushroom-based dishes, not surprising given the high number of vegetarian and vegan options on this year's lineup. As far as entrees go, beef dishes (including in steak and short rib forms) were the front-runner, with chicken right behind and (surprise!) salmon beating out pork for the third slot. There's also an awful lot of duck on the menus, including two different takes on duck-centric cassoulet.
Here's a more in-depth breakdown of this year's Dine Originals Week options. Click here to check out the full menus, and make plans to eat out sometime before the end of the weekend.
Popular flavors:16: BUTTERNUT SQUASH
1. Barrio's Smokey Hanger: Hanger Steak with Butternut Squash Puree and Fried Shallots
2. Basi's Roast Porchetta with Butternut Squash and Dried Cherry Mostarda
3. Black Creek Bistro's Roasted Fall Vegetable White Lasagna: Butternut Squash, Sweet Potato, Leeks, Roasted Red Pepper, Layers of Cheese and Noodles with a Garlic Cream Sauce
4. Chile Verde's Butternut Squash Soup, with Roasted Butternut Squash, Garlic, Onions and Cream
5. DeepWood's Winter Panzanella Salad with Pumpernickel and Pumpkin Bread Croutons, Baby Cabbage Leaves, Butternut Squash, Cranberry, Sage, Sherry Vinaigrette
6. Elevator's Cornbread Stuffed Chicken: Pan-Seared, Oven-Roasted Chicken Breast Stuffed with Roasted Red Peppers, Basil, Smoked Gouda and Cornbread. Served over Butternut Squash Puree and Chef's Vegetable with an Apple Cider Dark Horse Jus.
7. Katzinger's Eric's Vegetarian Butternut Squash Soup
8. Local Roots' Ohio Butternut Squash Pumpkin Soup with Cardamom Creme Fraiche
9. Local Roots' Butternut Squash Ravioli with Candied Walnuts, Sage and Asparagus in a Sweet Brown Sugar Butter Sauce
10. Luce's Butternut Squash Soup with Sherry Gastrique, Pepitas
11. Refectory's Butternut Squash Veloute with Bacon and Potato Mosaic
12. Rigsby's Chicken Cacciatore with Mascarpone Polenta Butternut Squash Ravioli, Fresh Sage-Mostarda Butter
13. Spinelli's Deli's Butternut Squash Bisque
14. Surly Girl's Butternut Squash Ravioli in a Chile-Pumpkin Cream Sauce with House-Made Focaccia
15. Trattoria Roma's Zuppa di Zucca Butternut Squash Soup
16. Worthington Inn's Herb-crusted Trout with Leeks Fondue, Butternut Squash Puree and Black Truffle Butter13: PUMPKIN
1. Alana's Thai Curried Peanut Pumpkin
2. Alana's Jerked Kabocha
3. Alana's Pumpkin Korma in Thelma Sanders Squash
4. Barcelona's Sopa de Calabaza: Roasted Pumpkin Soup
5. Black Creek Bistro's Pumpkin and Apricot Lamb Stew: Roasted Baby Pumpkins Stuffed with a Slow Braised Apricot and Lamb Stew.
6. Clarmont's Pumpkin Bread Pudding
7. G. Michael's Desconstructed Pumpkin Roll: Moist Pumpkin Cake with Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese Cannel, Spiced Pecans, Whipped Cream and a Caramel Sauce
8. Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls' Pumpkin Bread Pudding with Cinnamon Ice Cream
9. Local Roots' Ohio Butternut Squash Pumpkin Soup with Cardamom Creme Fraiche
10. Local Roots' Rack of Veal with a Maple Demi Glaze. Served with Pumpkin Risotto and Sauteed Spinach.
11. Local Roots' Pumpkin Souffles Baked in Jack-Be-Little Pumpkins
12. Surly Girl's Butternut Squash Ravioli in a Chile-Pumpkin Cream Sauce with House-Made Focaccia
13. Vienna Ice Cafe's Pumpkin Spice Gelato11: MUSHROOMS
1. Alana's Herbes de Provence Crusted Fabulous Fungus with Lavender White Beans and Fall Greens
2. Barcelona's Croquetas: Mushroom and Goat Cheese Fritters
3. Barcelona's Setas Bocadillo: Sauteed Portobello, Piquillo Pepper, Wilted Spinach, Romesco Sauce
4. Black Creek Bistro's Mushroom Polenta Gratin: Gratin of Polenta and Mushrooms Topped with a Ragout of Shitake, Oyster, Portabella, Cremini Mushrooms and Fresh Herbs
5. Due Amici's Smoked Portabella Salad with Arugula, Roasted Tomatoes, Goat Cheese and Balsamic Lemon Aioli
6. Pistacia Vera's Mushroom quiche: House-Made Pate Brisee with a Mix of Emmentaler Swiss and Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheeses and Cremini and Shiitake mushrooms. Served with a Fresh Green Salad.
7. Refectory's Wild Mushroom Pate in Pastry with Petite Arugula Salad and Szechuan Peppercorn Vinaigrette
8. Skillet's Killbuck Valley Mushroom Risotto with Duck Confit, Sage, Cranberries
9. Worthington Inn's Mushroom Bisque with Goat Cheese Puff
10. Worthington Inn's Roasted Mushroom Risotto with Gorgonzola Cheese and Pistachios
11. Z Cucina's Goat Cheese and Vegetable Stuffed Portabello with Herb-White Bean Ragout and Wild Arugula
1. Basi's Grilled Endive with Taleggio Cheese, Smoked Almonds and Roasted Pear
2. Black Creek Bistro's Poached Pear Salad: Red Wine Apple Cider Poached Pear Over Mixed Greens Tossed in a Cider and Red Wine Vinaigrette, Sprinkled with Goat Cheese
3. Black Creek Bistro's Pancetta Pear Crisps: Fresh Fall Pears Topped with Crispy Pancetta, Goat Cheese, Thyme and a Drizzle of Fresh Ohio Honey.
4. G. Michael's House Salad with Spiced Pecans, Red Wine Poached Pears and Creamy Gorgonzola Vinaigrette
5. Skillet's Pear Cider Braised Pork Cheeks with Apple and Celery Root Purée, Celery Root Remoulade, Kale and Walnut Pesto, Crispy Kale
6. Vino Vino's Spinach Salad with Fresh Pear Slices, Goat Cheese and Caramelized Pecans
Meats of the red & white variety19: BEEF
(5 beef short ribs, 4 steaks)
1. Barcelona's Buey Bocadillo: Braised Beef Short Rib, Caramelized Onion, Aged White Cheddar, Garlic Aioli
2. Barcelona's Costillos de Res: Braised Beef Short Rib with Roasted Mushrooms, Sweet Potato Fries, Piquillo Pepper
3. Barrio's Smokey Hanger: Hanger Steak with Butternut Squash Puree and Fried Shallots
4. Black Creek Bistro's Creole Beef Grillades and Cheese Grits: Cutlets of our Ohio Roast Beef Seared and Simmered in a Classic Creole Tomato and Vegetable Sauce 'til Fork Tender. Served Over Fresh Cheese Grits and Topped with Scallions.
5. Chile Verde's Blackened New York Strip Fajitas with Sauteed Poblano Peppers, Yellow Squash, Tomatoes and Mushrooms, Served with Chile Verde Potatoes, Lettuce, Tomato, Cheese, Sour Cream and Warm Tortillas
6. Deepwood's Sloppy Joe: House Bun, Sauteed Angus Beef and Onion, Sweet Tomato Sauce. With Fried Macaroni and Cheese.
7. DeepWood's Bay Scallop: Apple, Parsley, Red Wine Shallot, Short Rib Marmalade Toast
8. Elevator's New York Strip: 10-ounce Grilled New York Strip Steak Served with Garlic-Smashed Redskin Potatoes, Chef's Vegetables and Dopplebock Demi-Glace. Topped with Malt Extract Compound Butter.
9. Figlio's Beef Tenderloin Medallion Pasta: On Linguine with a Red Wine Reduction Sauce and Asparagus, Carrots and Gorgonzola.
10. Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls' Grilled Flat-Iron Steak with Cracked Green Peppercorn Sauce
11. Katzinger's Reuben #1: Hot Corned Beef, Sauerkraut, Swiss Cheese, our own Russian Dressing on Hand-Sliced Rye
12. Luce's Smoked Braised Short Rib of Beef with Chive Mashed Potatoes and Natural Jus
13. Old Mohawk's Beef Ravioli: A generous portion of beef ravioli served with our homemade marinara sauce and garlic bread
14. Refectory's Roasted Pave of Beef Tenderloin with Grilled Cippollini Onion Bordelaise
15. Shaw's Beef Carbonnade with Scallion Mashed Potatoes
16. Tip Top's Blue Ribbon Pot Roast: Tender Chunks of Slow Cooked Pot Roast Rest Atop Baked Potatoes, Carrots, Turnips, Onions and Celery
17. The Top's Twelve-Ounce Prime Rib with Baked Potato and Au Jus
18. The Top's Braised Beef Short Rib, Whipped Potatoes, Bacon Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Rosemary Demi-Glace
19. Vino Vino's Grilled Beef Tenderloin with Shallot Peppercorn Sauce, Yukon Gold Potatoes and Broccoli15: CHICKEN
1. Barcelona's Pollo con Aceitunas y Limon: Sauteed Boneless Chicken Breast; Savory Bread Pudding, Tomato, Olive and Lemon Pan Sauce
2. Black Creek Bistro's Black Creek Porkie Pie: A dense concentration of vegetables, chicken, red wine, tomato and garlic.
3. Columbus Brewing Company Restaurant's Pecan Crusted Chicken served with Buttermilk Herbed Mashed Potatoes, Skillet Sweet Corn and a Pale Ale Honey Mustard
4. Elevator's Cornbread Stuffed Chicken: Pan-Seared, Oven-Roasted Chicken Breast Stuffed with Roasted Red Peppers, Basil, Smoked Gouda and Cornbread. Served over Butternut Squash Puree and Chef's Vegetable with an Apple Cider Dark Horse Jus.
5. Figlio's Pesto Chicken with Feta Pizza: Grilled Chicken, Roasted Red Peppers, Kalamata Olives, Tomatoes, Pine Nuts and Basil Pesto Sauce
6. Figlio'sTeriyaki Chicken Pizza with Pineapple, Red and Yellow Peppers, Red Onions and Fontina Cheese
7. La Scala's Chicken Diablo: Chicken Sauteed in a Spicy Sun-Dried Tomato Cream Sauce with Sliced Red Bell Peppers. Served over angel hair pasta.
8. Luce's Chicken Saltimbocca: Free Range Chicken, Sage, Prosciutto, Mozzarella with Fingerling Potatoes Peppadew Peppers, Root Vegetables, Leek Cream Sauce
9. Mezzo's Truffle and Basil Crusted Chicken
10. Old Mohawk's Chicken Enchilada: Grilled Chicken Breast, Guacamole, Onions, Red and Green Bell Peppers, Lettuce, Tomato, Monterey Jack and Cheddar Cheese, topped with a Tomatillo Sauce.
11. Rigsbsy's Chicken Cacciatore with Mascarpone Polenta Butternut Squash Ravioli, Fresh Sage-Mostarda Butter
12. Spinelli's Deli's Cranberry Pecan Chicken Salad Panini
13. Tip Top's Comfort Casserole: Succulent White Meat Chicken and Asparagus Baked in a Savory Mushroom Sauce Topped with Herbed Bread Crumbs, served with Cranberry, Walnut and Goat Cheese Relish.
14. Tony's Pollo al Parmigiana: Breast of Chicken Lightly Breaded and Pan Fried Golden Brown, topped with Provolone Cheese and Marinara
15. Trattoria Roma's Penne Integrali e Pollo: Whole Wheat Penne with Roast Chicken and Broccoli in an Asiago Cream Sauce10: PORK
1. Barcelona's Cubano Bocadillo: Ham, Roasted Pork, Swiss, Pickle, Mustard
2. Basi's Roast Porchetta with Butternut Squash and Dried Cherry Mostarda
3. Black Creek Bistro's Pork Tostadas: Cinnamon and Vanilla Scented Pulled Pork Topped with Andy's Pickled Sweet Corn Relish on Top of Crispy Fried Tortilla Chips.
4. Due Amici's Pork Belly Over Spicy Green Lentil Broth
5. G. Michael's Grilled 12 oz. Bone-In Pork Chop with Bacon-Scallion Mashed Potatoes and Collard Greens, Bourbon Caramel Sauce and Shoestring Sweet Potatoes
6. Katalina's Cafe Corner's Ancho Chili Slow-Roasted Bluescreek Farms Pork Sandwich with Tri-Color Slaw with Lime and Cilantro
7. Katalina's Cafe Corner's Ancho Chili Slow-Roasted Bluescreek Farms Pork, Spiced-Up Mashed Potatoes and a Side of Spinach Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing or Tri-Color Slaw with Lime and Cilantro
8. The Oak Room at Granville Inn's The Three Little Pigs: Grilled Medallion of Pork Tenderloin, Wild Boar Sausage and Slow Cooked Crisp Pork Belly with Twice Cooked Wild Rice and French Green Beans
9. Skillet's Pear Cider Braised Pork Cheeks with Apple and Celery Root Purée, Celery Root Remoulade, Kale and Walnut Pesto, Crispy Kale
10. Worthington Inn's Grilled Pork Tenderloin Tomato-Ginger Jam, Crisp Polenta and Roasted Root Vegetables7: DUCK
1. DeepWood's Green Egg & Ham: Herb Scrambled Duck Egg with Smoked Ham
2. G. Michael's Duck Liver Gratin with Smoked Gouda Cheese, Redskin Potatoes, Sage Cream Sauce and Caramelized Vidalia Onions
3. Granville Inn's Duck Cassoulet: Crispy Duck Leg Confit Slow Cooked with French Flageolets, Garlic Sausage and Vegetables
4. Refectory's Pan-Seared Duck Magret with Red Olive Demi-Glaze
5. Rigsby's Duck and Foie Gras Terrine with Caramelized Apple Sauce and Black Truffle Vinaigrette
6. Skillet's Killbuck Valley Mushroom Risotto with Duck Confit, Sage, Cranberries
7. Z Cucina's Slow Roasted Duck Ragout with Pepper Papardelle Pasta and Braised Fall Greens4: VEAL
1. DeepWood's Veal Loaf: Truffle-Cheese Stuffed, Buttermilk Potato Puree, Onion Confit
2. Local Roots' Rack of Veal with a Maple Demi Glaze. Served with Pumpkin Risotto and Sauteed Spinach
3. Tony's Veal Marsala: Medallions of Veal Sauteed with Mushrooms in a Delicate Marsala Wine Demi-Glace
4. Trattoria Roma's Petto di Vitello: Slow Roasted Veal Brisket over Creamy Gorgonzola Polenta and a Root Vegetable Medley4: LAMB
1. Black Creek Bistro's Pumpkin and Apricot Lamb Stew: Roasted Baby Pumpkins Stuffed with a Slow Braised Apricot and Lamb Stew.
2. Bodega's Shrimp and Lamb Kebobs With a Red Pepper Harissa, Served with a Mediterranean Salad
3. Clarmont'sHerb Braised Lamb Shank: Served on a Bed of Sauteed Cabbage, Bacon and Carrots, Honey-Herb Glaze
4. Due Amici's Leg of Lamb Ragu: Over Black Pepper Fettucine3: TURKEY
1. DeepWood's Turkey Hash: Herb Stuffing, Cranberry Compote
2. Katzinger's Be's Bustling Birdwich #16 Turkey Reuben: Roasted Turkey Breast, Swiss Cheese, Creamy Coleslaw, Russian Dressing Grilled on Hand-Sliced Rye
3. Trattoria Roma's Tacchino Panini: Roast Turkey Breast with a Cucumber and Carrot Relish, Gorgonzola Cheese and Pesto Aioli
Fish & other types of seafood11: SALMON
1. Barcelona's Grilled Faroe Islands Salmon; Broccoli, Potato Leek Hash, Cherry Gastrique
2. DeepWood's Pastrami Cured Salmon: Pickled Cauliflower, Warm Dijon Potato Salad
3. Mezzo's Ginger Snap Salmon
4. Refectory's Smoked Salmon and Salmon Rillette with Grilled Cippollini Onion, Trout Caviar and Caper Vinaigrette
5. Skillet's Pan Roasted King Salmon with Red Flannel Hash, Horseradish, Chive
6. Surly Girl's Anya's Asian Salad with Sweet Chili-Marinated Salmon, Mandarin Oranges, Pineapple, Peanuts, Toasted Sesame Seeds, Cilantro, Sesame Vinaigrette
7. Tony's Salmon Primavera: Fresh Salmon Grilled, served with Sauteed Fresh Vegetables and Polenta
8. The Top's Scottish Salmon over Sauteed Autumn Vegetable Medley with Ohio Cider Beurre Blanc
9. Trattoria Roma's Salmone Affumicato Carbonara: Smoked Salmon with Spaghetti, Shallots and Egg in a Romano Red Wine Cream Sauce
10. Trattoria Roma's Salmone Dolce e Formaggio: Apple Cider-Maple Glazed Salmon with a Five Cheese, Spinach and Cashew Risotto
11. Vino Vino's Salmon Risotto with Artichoke Hearts, Kalamata Olives, Chopped Tomatoes and Asparagus10: FISH (2 mahi mahis, 2 tilapias, 2 trouts)
1. DeepWood's Flounder: Saffron Couscous, Almond and Raisin, Mussel and Shrimp Broth
2. Elevator's Blackened Mahi-Mahi: Served Over Garlic-Smashed Redskin Potatoes with Sauteed Asparagus and Orange Beurre Blanc
3. Figlio's Seared Tilapia with Angel Hair Pasta and Julienned Vegetables, Lemon Caper Sauce
4. G. Michael's Blackened Mahi-Mahi with Shrimp-Crawfish Succotash, Honey Tabasco Butter Sauce and Pimento Cheese
5. La Scala's Yellow Squash Red Snapper: Topped with a Pomegranate Demi-Glaze and Served with Artichoke Smashed Potatoes and Honey Carrots Sauteed in Butter.
6. Old Mohawk's Blackened Tilapia: Eight ounces of Cajun seasoned tilapia served over dirty rice with a side mixed vegetables and a homemade gumbo sauce
7. Refectory's Sauteed King Clip with Breen Bamboo Rice and Sun-Dried Beurre Blanc
8. Rigsby's Arctic Char with Sage and Pine Nut Crust, Brussels Sprout Petal with Bacon and Hazelnuts
9. Worthington Inn's Herb-crusted Trout with Leeks Fondue, Butternut Squash Purée and Black Truffle Butter
10. Z Cucina's Herb Stuffed Rainbow Trout with Olive Oil Poached Tomatoes and Braised Fennel6: CRAB
1. Barcelona's Sopa de Congrejo: Crab Soup with a Sherry Reduction
2. Figlio's Crab and Corn Chowder: Diced Potatoes, Shrimp and a Touch of Cream
3. Local Roots' Jumbo Lump Crab & Shrimp with a Black Garlic Butter Dipping Sauce, served with Pumpkin Butter Toast Points
4. The Oak Room at Granville Inn's Crab Cake with Southwestern Salad with Roasted Corn Salsa and Chipotle Aioli
5. Shaw's Crab Cake Stack with Pickled Bell Pepper Caper Relish
6. Tasi Cafe's Crab Cake Benedict with Jalapeno-Potato Hash
1. Barrio's Mussels Verde: Chimmichurri Verde, Roasted Poblano Peppers, Diced Green Bell Pepper
2. G. Michael's Steamed Mussels with Tasso Ham, Vidalia Onions and Spinach in a Thyme-Bass Ale Broth
3. Granville Inn's Prince Edward Island Mussels: Steamed in White Wine, Tarragon and a Touch of Cream
4. Worthington Inn's Steamed Mussels with Sausage, Tomato and Ale Cream3: LOBSTER
1. DeepWood's Lobster Sausage with Fennel Risotto
2. Granville Inn's Lobster Caronia: Pappardelle Pasta in a Rich Egg and Cream Sauce with Chopped Lobster, Truffle and Petite Peas
3. Spinelli's Deli's Lobster Bisque
Odds & ends:2: CASSOULET
1. Deepwood's Cassoulet: Duck, Lamb, Pork with White Bean and Swiss Chard, Natural Jus
2. Granville Inn's Duck Cassoulet: Crispy Duck Leg Confit Slow Cooked with French Flageolets, Garlic Sausage and Vegetables2: BLACK-EYED PEAS
1. Black Creek Bistro's Black-Eyed Pea Cakes: Golden Fried Black Eyed Pea Cakes Topped with Cranberry and Roasted Red Pepper Salsa
2. Shaw's Crispy Grits Cakes with Black-Eyed Pea Salad and Cajun Cream