Putting train properties back on track
The capital city's rail history has left abandoned structures available for redevelopment all over the region. One of those—a five-building trolley-barn complex built between 1880 and 1920 in the Olde Towne East area—is set for a major transformation. Developer Brad DeHays of Connect Realty hopes to gain state tax credits in December to turn the property into the East Market at Franklin Park, apartments and commercial space that may include restaurants operated by the Columbus Brewing Co. and James Anderson of Ray Ray's Hog Pit fame. Here are some other railroad relics found elsewhere in Central Ohio.
Columbus Railway, Power & Light Co. depot and powerhouse
Address: 842 Cleveland Ave., Columbus
Owner: Columbus Realtor Carl H. Woodford, since August 2000
Status: Long vacant. “Private plans” are in the works, a coy Woodford says.
Hocking Valley & Toledo Railway depot
Address: 100 N. High St., Canal Winchester
Owner: Canal Winchester Area Historical Society
Status: Renovated in the late 1980s and early 1990s as a rail museum, model railroad display and meeting space
Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad station
Address: 379 W. Broad St., Columbus
Owner: Columbus Firefighters/International Association of Fire Fighters Local 67
Status: Former Volunteers of America headquarters that has served as firefighters' union hall and offices since 2007.
Columbus, Hocking Valley & Toledo Railway depot
Address: 789 Science Blvd., Gahanna
Owner: Depot Golf Center LLC/Value Recovery Group
Status: Relocated depot from Prospect, Ohio, that now serves as the site of the Golf Depot clubhouse and other amenities