Recently released documents shed light on the Wexner Center shooter-and hint at what might have motivated his unprecedented attack.

Recently released documents shed light on the Wexner Center shooter-and hint at what might have motivated his unprecedented attack.

Ohio State University policezeroed in on a torn piece of paper taped to an overhead laundry cabinet inside the barren Clintonville mobile home. On the paper was alist of names and phone numbers that police hoped would help them identify the next of kin of the home's late resident, Dean Sturgis.

But things didn't go as planned. Instead, investigators discovered at least three of the numbers belonged to former coworkers of Sturgis, including Ray Harmon, Sturgis' former supervisor at the Wexner Center. About six years ago, Sturgis resigned from his job as a security officer at the Wex following Harmon's investigation into a sexual harassment claim lodged against Sturgis. Harmon said he hadn't spoken to or seen Sturgis since then. So why was Harmon's phone number taped to a cabinet in Sturgis' trailer?

That nugget is one of a handful of new revelations found in a batch of OSU police investigative documents released in early October. Though plenty of questions remain unanswered, the reports, photographs, surveillance videos and witness statements do shed more light on Sturgis, the mysterious ex-Wexner Center security guard who entered his former place of employment armed with two guns a year ago, damaging multiple paintings and statues before killing himself.

David Hickman, a former friend of Sturgis, described the Wexner Center shooter as "defiant" and "anti-establishment." In a statement to police, Hickman said Sturgis would run red lights for no reason and was banned from the Kroger in the Graceland shopping center for stealing alcohol, even though he had plenty of money at the time. Sturgis also struggled to get over the loss of his Wexner Center job, telling Hickman that he was "framed" over "some girl." Hickman believes his former friend entered the museum intent on finding his old boss.

During the November 2015 incident, Sturgis worked his way through the galleries, spray-painting and shooting art, with the security communication center as his ultimate destination. Sturgis wanted access to the art vault in the security room. But did he plan to do more than just damage art if got inside the com center? "Who's in there?" he asked when he tried to get into the room, according to the security supervisor hiding in the center. When a locked door prevented Sturgis from entering the security center, he put a gun to his head and pulled the trigger.

Detectives spoke with the two people most responsible for Sturgis losing his job: Harmon, his immediate supervisor at the time, and Doug McGrew, who oversees Wexner Center security. McGrew told detectives that Sturgis threatened him and his family when the university was investigating Sturgis' alleged sexual harassment against a coworker.Harmon also suspects Sturgis was behind several anonymous threatening phone calls he received. Could Sturgis have been targeting Harmon and McGrew? (Neither man was at the Wexner Center on the day of the shooting.) That scenario makes sense, McGrew told detectives. Yet Sturgis didn't mention anyone by name during the incident and aimed his guns at art instead of people. The whole thing is a headscratcher for McGrew, who described Sturgis' actions as "beyond me."

But Harmon told police Sturgis knew that, prior to this incident, no art had ever been seriously damaged at the Wexner Center. The vandalism, Harmon said, was a vehicle to hurt Sturgis' former security colleagues, the people charged with protecting the art in the museum. "I don't think the art had a thing to do with it," Harmon said. "It was just an opportunity."