Crave celebrates our city's signature dishes
Columbus isn't synonymous with one particular dish the way Cincinnati is with chili, or Chicago is with deep-dish, or Philly is with cheesesteak. But that doesn't mean we're lacking dishes that scream Columbus. They're the plates you can't order anywhere else in the country. The sandwiches you grew up eating. The bites you show off to out-of-town visitors. The stuff you'd pine after if you ever moved away. They're what restaurants brag about via menu declarations: "Home of the World Famous PastaSalvi!" "Enjoy the legendary Mother Mohawk!"
We whittled the list of only-in-Columbus dishes down to our favorite dozen. Finalists made the cut for numerous reasons, from having a fantastic name (like the Village Addiction) to being downright addictive (Marcella's veal meatball). Consider this your checklist to the city's Iconic Eats.
1. The Thurmanator at Thurman's Cafe
2. PastaSalvi at Salvi's Bistro
3. Bahama Mama at Schmidt's
4. Hangover sandwich at Chef-O-Nette
5. Braised Veal Meatball at Marcella's
6. The Village Addiction at Brown Bag Deli
7. Whoa Nellie! dog at Dirty Frank's
8. 55 Salad at Polaris Grill
9. Buckeye sandwich at Krema Nut Company
10. Mother Mohawk at The Old Mohawk
11. Tapatio Margarita at Knead
12. One Night in Bangkok sundae at Jeni's