Fresh & Fabulous Fashion
Cover and opening spread clothing styling by ELIZABETH BEAN SMITH & CHRISTY WALSH of WARDROBE THERAPY
Hair & makeup styling by
THE CHARLES PENZONE SALONS
White and ivory dominated the spring runways, whether as tailored suits or breezy gowns. And it wasn’t just in pieces and parts—white on white wowed.
1. Indigenous top, $115 at le Flair
2. Sam & Lavi top, $98, and pants, $168 at Ladybird
3. J. Crew shorts, $45 at J. Crew
4. Dolce Vita dress, $220 at Rowe
Caption: At the shows: Nicholas K.,
BCBG (bottom, left) and Marissa Webb
Black + White
Multiple designers drew inspiration from famous photographers for their spring collections. Max and Lubov Azria’s BCBG collection, for example, was inspired by photographer Helmut Newton’s femme fatale muses and high-contrast pictures. And Rebecca Minkoff drew inspiration from photographer Slim Aarons, who was noted for capturing celebrities and socialites lounging poolside in the 60s and 70s. The resulting trend? An array of black and white.
1. Lodis case, $38 at Rowe
2. Rebecca Minkoff dress, $298 at Thread
3. Wai Ming shorts, $185 at Thread
4. Sam & Lavi jacket, $145, and pants, $132 at Ladybird
5. Aryeh dress, $68 at Substance
Pretty In Prints
Prints are back, from florals to stripes. Some designers incorporated international flair, too, offering an Eastern vibe for a fresh twist.
1. Iris dress, $421 at Leál
2. Sam & Lavi pants, $128 at Ladybird
3. Greylin pants, $120 at Rowe
4. Rebecca Minkoff top, $298 at Thread
5. Cleobella handbag, $325 at Rowe
7. Wai Ming vest, $185 at Thread
7. Kenny shorts, $143 at Rowe
8. Scarf, $29 at High Street Denim
Caption: At the shows, left to right: Rebecca Minkoff, Richard Chai and Tadashi Shoji
Color Me Vibrant
Color certainly wasn’t left out: It popped in nearly every show, in bright hues of melon, orange and green—and often shown monochromatically.
1. Iris dress, $385 at Leál
2. Parker top, $203 at Rowe
3. Iris dress, $375 at Leál
Ladylike details abounded, as designers used a whole lot of sheer, and incorporated elements like lace, peplum, pleating, fringe, beading and bows.
1. Olive & Oak top, $68 at High Street Denim
2. Iris jacket, $400, and Iris pants $285 at Leál
3. Tracy Reece jacket, $788 at Thread
4. Ya dress, $54 at Substance
Photos by Will Shilling
Captions: Here Malene Birger skirt, $265; Malene Birger top, $155; Alice + Olivia jacket, $498; all at Leál. Rebecca Minkoff cuff, $128 at Thread on Grandview.
On the Cover Dolce Vita dress, $288; IRO blazer, $788; and Honey Rose & K necklace, $230; all at Rowe.
Caption: At the shows: BCBG, Marissa Webb (bottom, left) and Nicole Miller
Caption: At the shows: Nicholas K, Marissa Webb (bottom, left) and Charlotte Ronson
Caption: At the shows: Charlotte Ronson, Tadashi Shoji and Nicole Miller