Team CapStyle's Must-Have Beauty Products
From lotions to luminizing powders, here are our favorite beauty buys
Kristy Eckert, editor:
- L'Occitane Immortelle Precious Protection SPF 20 moisturizer, $60
- Clinique High Lengths mascara, $16
- Estee Lauder eye shadow in Blazing Bronze, $22
Heather Weekley, assistant editor:
- Mary-Lou Manizer luminizing powder from theBalm, $24: While this powder also functions as a face highlighter, I use it as my go-to eyeshadow. I use my fingertip to apply it to my lids, and it has just enough shimmer to give my eyelids a nice gold color without being too overbearing. Plus, a little goes a long way.
- Secret Agent Beauty Secret Lip Affair in Foreign Intelligence Flirt, $18: I try so hard to be a lipstick girl, but I've come to accept the fact that I just fare better with glosses. I've found a favorite in the Secret Agent gloss, which doesn't feel heavy or stick on my lips, adds a bit of color and lasts several hours.
- Caudalie Hand and Nail Cream, $15: My hands get ridiculously dry in the winter, so I love Caudalie's hand cream. I put it on several times a day and my hands immediately feel smooth and silky, not greasy from the lotion. I'll be buying this one for a while.
Jane Hawes, contributing editor:
- Jo Malone Lime Basil & Mandarin Cologne, $115/100 ml: This is London parfumier Jo Malone's signature scent, the one that launched dozens more divinely unusual scent combinations. It's also the one that, the first time I sniffed it in a Vogue magazine insert, simply knocked me off my feet, and I had. to. have. it. The Lime Basil & Mandarin combo is a peppery citrus - happy but with an edge. You can find Jo Malone products in select Nordstrom, Saks and Neiman Marcus stores now, but I still prefer going the mail-order route because, if you ask very nicely, they'll send little vials of other scent samples.
- Studio 35 Beauty Regenerating Daily Serum, $14.99 for a 1.7-oz. bottle: I stumbled onto this brand when Walgreens was clearance-sale-ing its old in-house "W" brand. When I couldn't find more of this silky-smooth, fragrance-free serum, I quickly learned from online searching that this particular serum has a serious cult following. Thankfully Walgreens reintroduced it under its new in-house "Studio 35" brand. This product is billed as being comparable to a certain other brand's "Regenerist" serum but, honestly? This one is better.
- Aura Cacia Nurturing Sweet Almond Skin Care Oil with Vitamin E, $5.93 for 4-oz. bottle (or $13.95 for the organic version), also available at Whole Foods, Raisin Rack, Clintonville Community Market: My yoga teacher introduced me to an ayurvedic medicine practice of self-massage called "abhyanga." Based on your "dosha" (i.e., your mind and body type), certain natural oils help make the practice much more than just keeping your skin baby-smooth soft. It's truly a restorative little treat every time you shower or bathe.
Taylor Starek, web producer:
- Oil of Olay Complete All-Day Moisturizer, $7.99: I've been using this lotion every day since I was 13. It's oil-free, light and SPF 15.
- Redken Extreme Anti-Snap Treatment, $17.50: I'll be honest-I have no idea if this really prevents breakage. I have horse-like locks, so I think that helps. But it smells amazing.
- Shaveworks' The Cool Fix aftershave, $25 for 5.3-oz bottle: I have terribly dry and sensitive skin, which makes shaving problematic. I love this stuff. It relieves redness and eliminates razor bumps.
Tessa Berg, photographer:
- LuLu & Max day and night face moisturizers, $28: I have super sensitive skin and tend to break out with this annoying red rash with most face products and this is the only one I've found that doesn't irritate my skin. Plus it's local, natural and organic.
- Bath & Body Works' Aromatherapy Stress Relief Eucalyptusand Spearmint products, $5 to $22.50
- "Falling In Love" Philosophy body lotion, $36