Daily Bulletin: Doh!
There are days honoring kid inventors, pi, doughnuts and even UFOs. Why not Play-Doh?
If you don’t already have it on your calendar, World Play-Doh Day is Sept. 16.
According to Hasbro Inc., the maker of the ubiquitous childhood favorite, the celebration started in 2006 as National Play-Doh Day but was elevated to a global scale in 2015. Fans are encouraged to make their own masterpieces and share them on social media. (Keep tabs on the fun at facebook.com/playdoh.)
To celebrate, here are some fun Play-Doh facts from Hasbro:
- Since it hit store shelves in 1956, more than 3 billion cans have been sold—enough to reach the moon and back three times.
- The compound originally was intended for use as wallpaper cleaner.
- The three primary ingredients are water, salt and flour.
- Play-Doh initially came only in red, blue, yellow and white. Today, more than 50 hues are offered.
- Play-Doh was inducted into the National Toy Hall of Fame in 1998.
- A standard-size can holds 172 pennies.