BalletMet presents 'The Nutcracker'
Rebecca Turk grudgingly admitted to feeling some joy when costumes worn by BalletMet Columbus dancers wear out. Turk is the company's costume shop manager, meaning that when costumes wear out, she and her staff get to create new ones.
"It's exciting for the whole shop when costumes need to be started from scratch," she told The Beat. "It's a part of our artistry."Turk explained that part of her staff's job is, of course, to maintain costumes as well. Ultimately, the goal is to be both high quality and cost-effective.She also said wear is not the only reason a costume might be remade or redesigned; artistic direction can affect the costuming process as well.
For the 2008 version of the company's presentation of The Nutcracker, new costumes were made for the Toy Soldiers, Pages and Adult Clara. Additionally, the Nutcracker himself was given a facelift.
She added that, when designing new costumes, she purposefully changes the look of the piece."It gives (the show) an extra level of magic if there's always something new and fresh," Turk said. "It's more fun for the audience and for the cast."
And happy dancers make Turk and her staff happy, too."These costumes are used hard," she said. "We use quality materials to make them both feel better and move better."
BalletMet Columbus' production of The Nutcracker, runsDec. 12-23 at the Ohio Theatre. A host of community additions to this year's show should make for even more fun (if possible) - check the BeatBlog at www.ThisWeekNews.com for more on the additions. Tickets are $66-$18.50. Call (614) 469-0939. BalletMet will also offer an alternate, um, nutty, take on the traditional classic with Cracked Nutz, Dec. 26-28 at the BalletMet Performance Space.
- Number of new costumes made for the 2008 production: 40
- Number of buttons on the new soldier costumes: 30 dozen
- Number of crystals and pearls strung on each Snowflake crown: 124
- Number of hours it takes to complete one Snowflake crown: 3-4
- Number of costumes in each performance of The Nutcracker: 130
- Sugar Plum Fairy costume, by the numbers: 133 flowers, 20 stars, 361 gems, 10 layers of tulle
- Time it takes to build the Sugar Plum Fairy costume: 75 hours
- Number of ribbon petals on the new Waltz of the Flowers bodices and headpieces: 1,500