Day 9: American Diabetes Association
"To prevent and cure diabetes and to improve the lives of all people affected by diabetes," is the mission of the American Diabetes Association (ADA).
The local office of the ADA services 46 counties in Ohio and West Virginia. The ADA meets its' mission by providing education, advocacy and research to your entire family through:
- Corporate and community health fairs (distributing diabetes materials, answering questions face-to-face)
- Lunch and learns (informal diabetes presentations for corporations)
- School outreach (school walks, diabetes presentations and materials)
- Fundraising events (StepOut, Tour de Cure and Art of Giving Gala)
- Advocacy days (Statehouse rallies for the Diabetes Cost Reduction Act/HB 81)
- Business address to the community (participants learn the impact of diabetes on business)
- Research (there are seven ADA-funded research projects in progress in Ohio).
The ADA is here for you via telephone at (888) DIABETES (342-2383). The ADA's website provides information on all types of diabetes, food and fitness, research, events, newly diagnosed assistance and more. You can find the website at www.diabetes.org/.
How can you give back? You can participate in local events as a fundraiser, you can volunteer, sign up to be an advocate or make a donation. To learn more, (888) DIABETES and join the STOP diabetes movement TODAY at stopdiabetes.com.
Together we can STOP diabetes. One step at a time.
About the seriesThe 12 Days of Giving is a project initiated by Columbus Parent Magazine to give non-profit organizations an outlet for their message.
In these tough economic times, non-profit organizations are the first to see their resources evaporate.
These great organizations rely on your time, talent, and treasure to make a difference in our community. Please consider becoming a sponsor of one of these great community leaders.