The Modern Momma: Doting on Dad
With Father's Day upon us, I visited my son's second-grade class at Tyler Run Elementary School in Powell to talk about dads so I could share their musings with you.
The kids were super sweet (they all love their fathers a lot). They found a lot of commonalities (sports and naps are good, not listening to Dad is bad). But the zingers are the most fun, so we'll focus on those. I hope you get as big a kick out of reading them as I did hearing them firsthand.
Here's to you, Dads.
Happy Father's Day!
What makes your dad happy?
- “Fishing.” –Isla
- “Eating.” –Connor
- “Spending time with me.” –Jackson
- “Watching the Buckeyes win.” –Nick
- “Brownies.” –Cooper W.
- “Wrestling with my dog.” –Mary
- “Peace and quiet.” –Audrey
What makes your dad upset?
- “When one of his favorite sports teams are in a really important moment and they lose.” –Cooper W.
- “When he saw me get braces. Because he hates spending money.” –Mary
What does your dad do at work all day?
- “He has a 3D printer in his office.” –Aarav
- “My dad works to make inventions—not making them, sending important emails about them. Also, if someone breaks into a website, they stop them from doing that. And whenever he's on a work trip, he brings me something.” –Kate
- “My dad sits around and finishes a to-do list that has a million kajillion things. It's long. I've seen it!” –Gabby
Why does your mom love your dad?
- “Because he plays with her hair perfectly.” –Maria
- “Because they married each other.” –Max
What is your dad's favorite thing to do?
- “Have daddy-daughter dates with me. Or take naps.” –Maria
- “Eat spaghetti and noodles.” –Gabby
- “I don't know, but I'm taking a guess: me jumping on him.” –Cooper T.
How does your dad show you he loves you?
- “By wrestling me.” –Tyler
- “He sleeps with me five extra minutes until I fall asleep. But sometimes I fake sleep, then I get up and read.” –Maria
Who is your dad's hero?
- “LeBron James and Tom Brady.” –Vachan
- “Iron Man.” –Connor
- “My fat, chubby dog.” –Mary
- “Larry Bird. He played in the 1990s and 1980s and 1970s. He was a really good basketball player.” –Cooper W.
- “It's a singer. It's Bruce something.” –Gabby
- “Mommy.” –Aarav
- “He hasn't told me about his life.” –Max
Kristy Eckert is a Powell mom and founder of Kristy Eckert Communications. You can reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org.