Cooking with Kids: Candy Science
Melissa Kossler Dutton
The Acid Test
- Grown-up: Fill a container with a half cup of warm water.
- Kid: Add several Pixy Stix or Lemon Heads.
- Kid: Stir the mixture to help the candy dissolve.
- Grown-up: Fill a spoon with baking soda.
- Kid: Dump the baking soda into the candy mixture.
- Kid: Watch for bubbles, which signal the presence of acid.
The Oil Test
- Kid: Unwrap one or two Starburst.
- Kid: Place the candy on a microwave-safe plate.
- Grown-up: Put the plate in the microwave and heat it for about a minute. The candy should melt but not burn.
- Grown-up: Remove the plate from the microwave.
- Kid: Look for signs that the candy has oil.