Hands On: Balloon Jack-O'-Lanterns
It’s the time of year for Halloween costumes, decorations, and candy! These balloon jack-o’-lanterns can be filled with a few sweet treats for a special party favor. Or leave out the candy and use them as household décor. Balloons filled with air should last for about 30 days, so they’ll keep your home looking spooky through the end of the month.
Get top reads, event recommendations, guides, parenting trends and more ideas for family fun. Subscribe to Columbus Parent’s weekly e-newsletter, The Bulletin.
WHAT YOU NEED
*Individually wrapped candies
*Green pipe cleaners
HOW YOU DO IT
1. The first step is a two-person task. One person will stretch out the opening to the balloon. The second person will drop candy inside.
2. Blow up the balloon and tie off the end.
3. Use the black marker to draw a jack-o’-lantern face on the balloon.
4. Twist a green pipe cleaner around the end, forming a stem and leaf.
5. If using these as party favors, write each child’s name on the back of the jack-o’-lantern and set up a small “pumpkin patch” of favors.
WHO CREATED IT
Olivera Bratich owns Wild Cat Gift & Party, 3515 N. High St. The Clintonville shop features gifts, handmade goods and party supplies from more than 400 vendors plus crafty workshops and parties for all ages. For more information, call 614-420-6603 or go to wildcatgiftandparty.com.