We all know we need to "green up" our lives, but do we know why? What I mean is, do we actually have any real facts and numbers as to what will happen if we do not go green? In keeping with our spooky Halloween theme, here are some scary reasons to recycle, buy organic, and conserve energy.
- U.S. consumers use 50 billion plastic water bottles every year roughly one-third of global use.
- It takes 26 times more water to make the plastic bottle than the bottle contains.
- More than a million species worldwide could be driven to extinction by 2050.
- A 2006 report by the United Nations (U.N.) revealed that raising animals for food generates more greenhouse gases than all the cars and trucks in the world combined.
- If current warming trends continue, the Arctic Ocean could be ice free in summer by 2050.
- Off the coast of California lies the "eastern garbage patch." The "patch," which is nearly covered with floating plastic debris, is roughly the size of Texas.
- More than half of the world's tropical forests have been lost. Each year, over 63,000 square miles are destroyed.
- It takes 55 square feet of tropical rainforest to produce one "quarter pounder."
Scared? Use the tips in Earth Mama every other week to do your part to turn these scary facts into folklore.