Great parties on a budget
Use these tips to have a bash that's low in cost, but high in fun:
- Set a spending limit before you start.
- Create your own piata. Make it an activity with the kids.
- Pick a free location such as your backyard or a local park.
- Play classic party games. Change them to fit the theme - for instance, "Pin the Badge on the Sheriff" for a cowboy-themed party.
- Write invitations by hand or send them out by e-mail.
- Use items you already own for decorations. Use toys that fit the theme.
- Make your own cake, or make personalized cupcakes for each of the children.
- Go for two-liter bottles of drinks rather than cans or juice boxes.
- Use brown lunch sacks for goody bags and let the kids decorate them.
- Rather than hire an entertainer, have someone you know come to make balloon animals, paint faces or give a puppet show.